Make Time to Walk

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

I was born a walker. Growing up in a one car family that my father needed to get to work while living in the outskirts of town meant that if you wanted to do anything or go anywhere you relied on your feet. This was so ingrained that I did not bother get a drivers license until I was 25. When I moved to the city in my early adulthood, I relied on buses to transport me to work until a strike taught me that the hour and a half walk to and from was reasonable and pleasant, at least on the good weather days. For seven years, while living in the car-obsessed and sidewalk-phobic suburban USA, I slowly lost the habit, but I've been gaining it back, going on almost daily adventures of urban exploration.

It never ceases to amaze me how little many of my friends know of their own backyards, even when they have lived in the area all their lives. We have traded an adventurers' soul for the mundane, stress inducing car commute, even driving to the store a few blocks away. Reassessing my own life and stress, I came to the realization that I was a lot happier as a walker, in the fresh air, in nature, interacting with people, seeing the small little things that make city life or country living so pleasurable, and which often get missed in the car.

I'll share my favourite walks and memories in and around my current home of Toronto, as well as Halifax, Chicago and Paris. Take a stroll with me.

Monday, December 13, 2010

He's Mister 20 Below

Old Snow Miser was singing his song today.   Everything was frosty and bitter.  Three layers on the bottom, four on the top, hat and scarf and a pair of too small mittens as I had to send my gloves to school with an absent minded child who has probably left 10 pairs of gloves and mittens at school so far this year.  I do have to say that my new boots did their job.  One pair of socks and my feet were comfortable and they seemed to keep their grip too.  I had two dogs to walk this morning and no access to my car which meant a half hour walk each way to the other pup's house on top of the hour that they pay me for.   My pup was not appreciative of the all business attitude of today's trek.  Kept him on a short lease to keep him from pulling me all over the place on the ice that has glassed the paved surfaces and to ensure that we were actually walking instead of stopping every two seconds to check out the smells. Too cold for smells.  Ears were pulled back in resentment, but he was good and, after slipping himself a few times, I think he figured out what the issue was.  Mr. Whippet was not interested in doing much more than his business and high-tailed it back to his house in short order.  He wasn't even in the mood to play and run in the backyard for a bit which is what I usually let them do after a walk.  I'd like to wax on about what I saw or did, but alas the sky was grey, it was horribly cold, and I spent most of the time staring vigilantly at the ground watching for ice.  Ah! Canadian Winter!  May it be short this year.  Would have given anything to have a hot chocolate when I got home, but that's off the menu, at least for the time being.

After Christmas, I am finding lined pants, long underwear, snow pants and a balaclava.  Have a lot of winter walking ahead of me and am determined to be warm.  

No comments:

Post a Comment