Make Time to Walk

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

I was born a walker. Growing up in a one car family that my father needed to get to work while living in the outskirts of town meant that if you wanted to do anything or go anywhere you relied on your feet. This was so ingrained that I did not bother get a drivers license until I was 25. When I moved to the city in my early adulthood, I relied on buses to transport me to work until a strike taught me that the hour and a half walk to and from was reasonable and pleasant, at least on the good weather days. For seven years, while living in the car-obsessed and sidewalk-phobic suburban USA, I slowly lost the habit, but I've been gaining it back, going on almost daily adventures of urban exploration.

It never ceases to amaze me how little many of my friends know of their own backyards, even when they have lived in the area all their lives. We have traded an adventurers' soul for the mundane, stress inducing car commute, even driving to the store a few blocks away. Reassessing my own life and stress, I came to the realization that I was a lot happier as a walker, in the fresh air, in nature, interacting with people, seeing the small little things that make city life or country living so pleasurable, and which often get missed in the car.

I'll share my favourite walks and memories in and around my current home of Toronto, as well as Halifax, Chicago and Paris. Take a stroll with me.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Urban Exploring - Bloor West Village Graffiti

artist 032

I'm a huge fan of street art.  Perhaps it's because I grew up in very rural areas where graffiti consisted of boring "Joanie *hearts* Chachi" or "Class of '82" crudely scrawled in spray paint on bridges and granite outcroppings next to the highway.  Maybe it's because much of my childhood television exposure romanticized the gritty urban settings that seemed slightly dangerous and hip, so foreign and exotic to the quiet world I inhabited.  The elaborate paint jobs in the backdrops helped to define in my mind what a city should be.

artist 033

I love a good museum and spend a lot of time in them.  But while many hate it and decry it, to me graffiti is the art of the people.  You don't need to pay admission to see it.  It doesn't have little white placards identifying the artist and medium or dictating what you should think or take away from the piece.  It's a little mysterious; unless you are really in the know, the artist is anonymous, the intentions behind their art sometimes never really explained.  There's no real or implied rule to speak in hushed tones.  It reflects the zeitgeist of the world that we live in; portrays a little bit of who we are.  It reads between the lines of cultural norms and news of the day and sometimes portrays uncomfortable truths.  It relays information in times of repression.  It often brightens the drab world we live in and makes our home just a little more unique and interesting.

artist 035

Certainly there is stuff out there that is just unnecessary.  In my personal view, tagging is pretty useless, it really doesn't say anything meaningful or do much to really contribute to the world in general.  But it's obviously it's own culture and reflects meaning to someone, otherwise no one would waste the time generating it.  If anything, it satisfies the primal urge to leave some reminder of our presence, to reflect that for some fleeting moment in time we were here.

artist 039

The desire to leave your mark on the world is as old as we have been capable of communicating through word and art.  And archeology has shown that it lasts.  History books are written from it and while we may sometimes have the "official" history from dry bureaucratic records and propaganda of the leaders of the time, it is the graffiti that often reflects what the people were really thinking of their leaders and issues of their time.  Scrawling a bison in pigments on a cave wall, etching "Tiberius was here" outside a Roman forum, spray painting stencils of business men and rats are all a way of taking a snapshot of who we are, reflecting our world as we know it and as we see it.  It is a fluid art form.  It is painted over, replaced, lost when structures are torn down or renovated.

artist 043

Toronto, like any urban area has pockets that seem to attract rich activity.  The following is a picture blog of graffiti that should be familiar to anyone who takes the Bloor Subway line past Keele towards Islington.  For a short stretch the Subway goes above ground and runs along an alleyway behind Bloor St.  These pictures were taken in the fall of 2009 and reflect the alleyway as it existed at that time.  Sadly some of these have now been lost as one building complex has been torn down to make way for condo development.  The bulk of it can be found between Indian Road and Dorval Road, although some of it extends east past Dorval Road.  These pictures run in order from east to west.  If anyone has information on the artists or backgrounds of these pictures I would love the feedback.


artist 050
This is haunting.  I would love to know who it portrays.
artist 056
This is found behind the Toronto Hockey Repair shop.
artist 063

artist 065
Is this intended to be a self-portrait?  I love the personality of this picture.
artist 066

artist 067

artist 069

artist 075

artist 076
Lost to demolition, October 2010.
artist 079
Lost to demolition, October 2010.  This was the painting that inspired me to investigate a little closer.  It was very large and could be seen quite clearly from the Subway.  I always thought it beautiful and it was a highlight of my commute.  
artist 078
Lost to demolition, October 2010.
artist 080
Lost to demolition, October 2010.
artist 081
Lost to demolition, October 2010.
artist 082
Lost to demolition, October 2010.
artist 086
Lost to demolition, October 2010.
artist 092
Detail of a larger wilderness mural.

Useful Information:

  • Duration of Walk:  Roughly 15 minutes
  • Difficulty: EASY.   Flat paved terrain.  
  • Parking/Getting There:  Accessible from Keele Station.  Follow Bloor St. eastward to Indian Road.  Turn south.  It is the alley to your immediate right. as you walk south.  
  •  Safety Factor:  RISKY.  Visit during day only and with a buddy.  Noticed several shopping carts with personal possessions while I was there.  This is also an access alleyway for a number of local businesses and there is some through traffic of cars and trucks.  The alleyway is narrow and can be hard to share with traffic, although traffic is minimal.  
  • Special Equipment: No.  Sneakers are suitable.
  • Suitable for Dogwalking?: No.  There used to be a Dog Training School/Day Care in the building that was recently demolished, however the alley itself is strewn with garbage and broken glass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment