Make Time to Walk

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

I was born a walker. Growing up in a one car family that my father needed to get to work while living in the outskirts of town meant that if you wanted to do anything or go anywhere you relied on your feet. This was so ingrained that I did not bother get a drivers license until I was 25. When I moved to the city in my early adulthood, I relied on buses to transport me to work until a strike taught me that the hour and a half walk to and from was reasonable and pleasant, at least on the good weather days. For seven years, while living in the car-obsessed and sidewalk-phobic suburban USA, I slowly lost the habit, but I've been gaining it back, going on almost daily adventures of urban exploration.

It never ceases to amaze me how little many of my friends know of their own backyards, even when they have lived in the area all their lives. We have traded an adventurers' soul for the mundane, stress inducing car commute, even driving to the store a few blocks away. Reassessing my own life and stress, I came to the realization that I was a lot happier as a walker, in the fresh air, in nature, interacting with people, seeing the small little things that make city life or country living so pleasurable, and which often get missed in the car.

I'll share my favourite walks and memories in and around my current home of Toronto, as well as Halifax, Chicago and Paris. Take a stroll with me.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Urban Exploring – Toronto’s Chapman Creek Ravine

[December 8, 2010 - Some may know of this creek as Humber Creek or Sturgeon Creek. I've been coming across several different names for this creek in various different sources.]

[WARNING:  This is not a recommended trek and was done only to satisfy my own curiosity.  The trek along the Chapman Creek Ravine requires a certain level of experience and fitness to complete from end to end.  Despite the fact that many homes line the ravine, should you get hurt or fall, it may be a very long time before you are discovered.  Chapman Creek Ravine has also been recommended as a Ecologically Sensitive Area and as such should remain as undisturbed as possible.  As well, flash floods are known to occur among many of the area ravines and you can very quickly find yourself trapped in a very serious situation.]

When you look at any Toronto map you will see a small beltway of green laying running between Royal York Road and Scarlett Road, running south of and parallel to Lawrence Avenue.  A small creek runs through here, marked on the maps as Chapman Creek or Chapman Ravine.  It actually originates west of Islington, flowing eastward on to the Humber.  I had been convinced that there had to be a continuous path across this beltway.  Beginning at Royal York Road, Douglas B. Ford park (formerly Weston Wood Park, it has been renamed in honour of our new mayor’s late father), in the back southeast corner of the park, there is a mowed greenway running between the houses and the wooded creek bed.  Although not marked on the Toronto Trail Map, it is clearly an intentional path as municipal park garbage cans can be found back here.  It quickly picks up as a footpath running through the trees along the south side of the creek.  This is not a groomed trail.  It can be quite mucky in places and in fact a number of feeder streams and swampy areas run across the trail.  

Chapman Creek April 2010

Chapman Creek icing over in November 2010
Wooden pallets lay across the path at it’s wettest or over running streams to facilitate walking, however these are not maintained and some show considerable wear from the elements.  This path continues on for about a quarter of a mile.  A footbridge crosses the creek north to provide access to Leggett Avenue.  There is access to the south from Westmount Park Road and a maintained basketball court sits here as well. 

A footpath continues on at this point, but I highly doubt it is in any way an official path.  It is actually less mucky in this point and very lovely.  It continues forward another 0.25 mile until it dead ends in a portion where the creek does a steep double back.  I had walked to this point several times in the spring but could not see any place where the path continued.  In the spring there is a glorious candy-like sprinkling of wildflowers, and the sight of it was soul-restoring after a long, harsh winter. 






Various Wildflowers and Foliage to be found in the Spring.  April 2010.

Crab Apples November 2010
I could see a footpath on the other side of the creek but could not determine how to get over there.  In the spring, the creek ran fast and deep and in my sneakers I could see no way of crossing there.  An exploration of the surrounding streets showed no signs of a point of access.  This morning I decided to try this path again in the hopes that what footpath existed might be seen more clearly without all the dense green foliage.  No path on the south side could be seen, but I was able to cross the creek here.  A natural path of stones jutted out from the much shallower water and I was able to continue on the north side of the creek. 





[At this point, I no longer recommend going further.  It is easier and far safer to access the remainder of the creek by backtracking to Westmount or Royal York Road. , and then accessing the official path again from the south of the creek at Chapman Valley Park.  I can no longer locate a listing for this park on the City of Toronto website directory of parks.  You can access this park by following Chapman Road east from Royal York until you reach a sharp bend in the road.  You should be able to access the park from there.]

Looking Down at the Creek from High Above.

This part is much rougher and less used then the path before I crossed the creek.  Many large trees have fallen across the path and I need to clamour over them.  This area is very rough terrain, and to my left as I walked eastward a sharp hill rises.  Many houses line the ravine high above me.  To my right, the creek drops further and further below me and it is not long until there is a good 15 foot drop on that side.  The path stays far enough from the edge that I feel okay until we get close to its absolute end.  Here the terrain has become so steep it is impossible and treacherous to walk further.  I track my way back and notice a place where others have obviously climbed down to the creek bed and then climbed up the other side.  Both accesses look steep and doable.  The way down was more treacherous than I was expecting, the soil was very soft and crumbly and I fell at the bottom when I was unable to keep my feet from sliding.    At the base of the ravine face, it is much steeper than it appeared from the other side, but I managed to make my way to the top.  At the top, there is a wide natural ledge, with another sharp rise of hill to the right.  I follow along the creek until I meet up with the official path at Chapman Valley Park. This path is very short, maybe another quarter of a mile in total and hits Scarlett Road with a very steep hill to climb to access the road.  Raymore Park runs along Scarlett Road on the east side.  However there is no pedestrian crossing here.  Traffic runs fast so extra caution must be used to cross the road, otherwise you have to go a considerable distance south to use a lighted crosswalk.

I am trying to find out some historical information on the Ravine or Creek, but have had no joy.  It may warrant a trip to the reference library or land registry office to try to determine some of it’s secret history.

Where Chapman Creek meets Humber River at Raymore Park, Etobicoke
I headed north along Raymore Park and Lions Park.  I will do a blog on Raymore Park and Lions Park another time.  Their history is deeply rooted in the events that have shaped the City into what is today and it truly deserves it’s own blog.  I picked up Lawrence Avenue and made my way home.  This walk was a truly challenging one and at the end of the day, my legs felt the burn. 

  • Duration of Walk:  Roughly one and 1/2  hour from my doorstep and back (based on short legs and picture taking )
  • Difficulty: EASY to DANGEROUS.  Chapman Creek is unpaved/ungroomed, but walking on the actual paths at the east and west end are short and no too difficult.  To trek the whole is very challenging requiring climbing, dealing with obstacles and high drops.  Not recommended.  
  • Parking/Getting There:  There is a parking lot at the Metro/shopping complex across the street from Douglas B. Ford Park.
  • Washrooms:  No.    
  • Local Coffee Haunts:  No.  
  •  Safety Factor:  DANGEROUS.  As stated above there are many opportunities to injure yourself here.  If you must venture into the ravine itself, take a buddy and proceed with extreme care.  
  • Special Gear:  Yes.  You will need suitable hiking boots, preferably water proof.  Bring clothes you don't mind getting muddy.  
  • Suitable for Dogwalking?: No.  There are many sensitive plants along the creek which may be damaged or destroyed by dogs.  The path is very narrow, basically just a footpath, and it would be impossible to keep a dog solely on the trail.  

1 comment:

  1. The Toronto Field Naturalists has a wonderful study dating from the 1970's with a detailed species inventory and geological study of Chapman ravine. You are welcome to be in touch with the TFN at Torontofieldnaturalists.org, and we will provide you with a copy of this study.

    ReplyDelete