Make Time to Walk

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

I was born a walker. Growing up in a one car family that my father needed to get to work while living in the outskirts of town meant that if you wanted to do anything or go anywhere you relied on your feet. This was so ingrained that I did not bother get a drivers license until I was 25. When I moved to the city in my early adulthood, I relied on buses to transport me to work until a strike taught me that the hour and a half walk to and from was reasonable and pleasant, at least on the good weather days. For seven years, while living in the car-obsessed and sidewalk-phobic suburban USA, I slowly lost the habit, but I've been gaining it back, going on almost daily adventures of urban exploration.

It never ceases to amaze me how little many of my friends know of their own backyards, even when they have lived in the area all their lives. We have traded an adventurers' soul for the mundane, stress inducing car commute, even driving to the store a few blocks away. Reassessing my own life and stress, I came to the realization that I was a lot happier as a walker, in the fresh air, in nature, interacting with people, seeing the small little things that make city life or country living so pleasurable, and which often get missed in the car.

I'll share my favourite walks and memories in and around my current home of Toronto, as well as Halifax, Chicago and Paris. Take a stroll with me.

Monday, December 13, 2010

First Snow


Last Monday was welcomed with the first real snow of the year.  The first snow is always so soft and gentle and fluffy.  It covers the world in a pure velvet blanket.  The light of the world is softer, hazier.  All is quiet and hushed.  It’s a charmer, warming the hearts of even the most hardened winter haters; it lulls you into a false sense that maybe all will be well.  It makes you forget all the deep freezes, slush, snow dumps and back breaking labour of the dark winter to come. 

Dogs, in particular, love the first snow.  They get right into it.  They frisk and strain at the ends of their leashes.  They paw it, lick it, eat it, snorfle their noses right into it and throw their faces to the sky, chins heavy with snowbeards.  They kick it up with their feet, they swish it with their tails, they roll and scamper and love it.  Their lives are not disrupted by it (unless they get walked less).  They seem to thrive in the cold.  They are invigorated by it and embrace it.  You can’t help but feel a little of their excitement. 

I dreaded going out.  As pretty as it was, I am most whole-heartedly not a winter soul.  But I had warm boots, coat, hat, gloves and two dogs that were dependent on me to get out there and trudge in the damn stuff.  I anticipated that it would be blisteringly cold, but it was actually pleasant.  Even the best of walkers get lazy or put out if there’s a change in the routine.  Best to adopt the attitudes of the dogs and deal with whatever Mother Nature dishes out with a little fun.  If life gives you snow, throw on your boots and kick up your heels.



Now if only I could feel that same attitude when I get served up a heaping helping of extreme cold like we have today...

No comments:

Post a Comment