Make Time to Walk

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

I was born a walker. Growing up in a one car family that my father needed to get to work while living in the outskirts of town meant that if you wanted to do anything or go anywhere you relied on your feet. This was so ingrained that I did not bother get a drivers license until I was 25. When I moved to the city in my early adulthood, I relied on buses to transport me to work until a strike taught me that the hour and a half walk to and from was reasonable and pleasant, at least on the good weather days. For seven years, while living in the car-obsessed and sidewalk-phobic suburban USA, I slowly lost the habit, but I've been gaining it back, going on almost daily adventures of urban exploration.

It never ceases to amaze me how little many of my friends know of their own backyards, even when they have lived in the area all their lives. We have traded an adventurers' soul for the mundane, stress inducing car commute, even driving to the store a few blocks away. Reassessing my own life and stress, I came to the realization that I was a lot happier as a walker, in the fresh air, in nature, interacting with people, seeing the small little things that make city life or country living so pleasurable, and which often get missed in the car.

I'll share my favourite walks and memories in and around my current home of Toronto, as well as Halifax, Chicago and Paris. Take a stroll with me.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pass the Caffeine



I’m not sure what I was thinking.  My job requires me to work until the wee hours of the morning.  I’m not exactly at my perkiest on the days after.  But just the same, I volunteered to chaperon a school outing for one of my kids.  I don’t get to see a lot of them because of my work.  It had seemed from the description that it would involve some hiking which usually is right up my alley.  But 20+ children on three hours of sleep, that was a bit much.  All in all, given my general dazed and confused condition, I think I survived it well.

Today’s excursion was to the Kortright Centre for Conservation.  This is a local conservation area that I have been dying to check out.  I had been a little reluctant to go as I was under the impression (given my very, very poor skills at judging distance) that it was some distance outside of the City and I hate to drive.  Turns out it’s just a short jaunt from my home, and is fairly close to Canada’s Wonderland, which we hit at least once a year.  I was won over when, as the school bus approached the entrance to the Centre, I spied a huge hawk perched on a branch overhanging the road.  

Perhaps because of the sudden sharp dip in temperature, most of the day was disappointingly spent indoors.  A small excursion in the afternoon stayed close to the main building.  The children spent their time learning about Huron culture and about the foods and materials that could be scavenged within the woods surrounding the Centre.  

Depending on the time of year, the park opens at 9 or 10 am and closes around 4 pm.  There is a paid admission to access the Centre.  $6.50 for adults, kids are free, parking is $4.00.  There are 300+ acres of woodland with plenty of trails to explore.  I was happy to learn that there is a Maple festival in the Spring.  I probably won’t brave it in the winter, but can guarantee that once the thaw hits, I’ll be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment