Make Time to Walk

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

I was born a walker. Growing up in a one car family that my father needed to get to work while living in the outskirts of town meant that if you wanted to do anything or go anywhere you relied on your feet. This was so ingrained that I did not bother get a drivers license until I was 25. When I moved to the city in my early adulthood, I relied on buses to transport me to work until a strike taught me that the hour and a half walk to and from was reasonable and pleasant, at least on the good weather days. For seven years, while living in the car-obsessed and sidewalk-phobic suburban USA, I slowly lost the habit, but I've been gaining it back, going on almost daily adventures of urban exploration.

It never ceases to amaze me how little many of my friends know of their own backyards, even when they have lived in the area all their lives. We have traded an adventurers' soul for the mundane, stress inducing car commute, even driving to the store a few blocks away. Reassessing my own life and stress, I came to the realization that I was a lot happier as a walker, in the fresh air, in nature, interacting with people, seeing the small little things that make city life or country living so pleasurable, and which often get missed in the car.

I'll share my favourite walks and memories in and around my current home of Toronto, as well as Halifax, Chicago and Paris. Take a stroll with me.

Friday, November 26, 2010

Blow, blow thou winter wind ...

Blow, blow, thou winter wind
Thou art not so unkind
As man's ingratitude;
Thy tooth is not so keen,
Because thou art not seen,
Although thy breath be rude. -  
William Shakespeare

Today winter got all up in our faces.  Frankly, I don’t know what its problem is.  Seriously.  It always thinks it’s going to impress us by blustering in, howling its arrival brashly.  At least it didn’t feel the need to bring it on, with snow – yet.  Others were not so fortunate.

I’m not a big fan of winter.  It’s pretty and has its moments.  I just can’t do cold and the older I get, the worse it gets.  I guess I have more of a Caribbean soul than a Canadian soul. 

And today was a stark reminder that I need to stop procrastinating and get around to buying a pair of winter boots. 

At least I don’t have to walk in today’s wind.  I work a 12 hour shift today so there will be no time for more than a quick jaunt to the corner to catch the bus.  This is when I thank all that is great and good for the PATH.

So while I’m getting ready for work, I’m burning my Bob Marley cds to my phone, and once I’m on the subway I’m going to close my eyes and dream of warmer days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment