Make Time to Walk

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

I was born a walker. Growing up in a one car family that my father needed to get to work while living in the outskirts of town meant that if you wanted to do anything or go anywhere you relied on your feet. This was so ingrained that I did not bother get a drivers license until I was 25. When I moved to the city in my early adulthood, I relied on buses to transport me to work until a strike taught me that the hour and a half walk to and from was reasonable and pleasant, at least on the good weather days. For seven years, while living in the car-obsessed and sidewalk-phobic suburban USA, I slowly lost the habit, but I've been gaining it back, going on almost daily adventures of urban exploration.

It never ceases to amaze me how little many of my friends know of their own backyards, even when they have lived in the area all their lives. We have traded an adventurers' soul for the mundane, stress inducing car commute, even driving to the store a few blocks away. Reassessing my own life and stress, I came to the realization that I was a lot happier as a walker, in the fresh air, in nature, interacting with people, seeing the small little things that make city life or country living so pleasurable, and which often get missed in the car.

I'll share my favourite walks and memories in and around my current home of Toronto, as well as Halifax, Chicago and Paris. Take a stroll with me.

Friday, April 8, 2011

Spring is Here!

It was glorious today.  Warm enough to leave behind the hats and mitts.  Warm enough to inspire the dogs to sniff about excitedly.  Warm enough for a small troupe of kindergardeners to head out to look for "signs of spring".  And then I came across them.  Vibrant bed of crocus.  Energizing and refreshing.  Purples and yellows shocking after the long white winter accented in browns.


First a howling blizzard woke us,
Then the rain came down to soak us,
And now before the eye can focus -
Crocus.  
Lilja Rogers



No comments:

Post a Comment